This access statement does not contain personal opinions as to our suitability for those with access needs, but aims to accurately describe the facilities and services that we offer all our guests/visitors.
Access Statement for
The Fawley, Guest House, Shanklin
Situated in Shanklin on the lovely Isle of Wight, perfectly situated for the beach which is 5 mins walk, (there is a steep hill from the end of Hope Road to the Esplanade itself), The Town centre in Shanklin is approx 10 mins walk. There is a train station approx 10 mins walk (this also has an incline towards the station)
We offer 9 en-suite bedrooms, five on the first floor and four on the second floor, 7 of the bedrooms have level entry en-suite shower rooms, none of the rooms have baths (we do not have any ground floor bedrooms).
For breakfast, where possible, we use locally sourced ingredients and cater for varying dietary requirements. We look forward to welcoming you. If you have any queries or require any assistance prior to arrival please phone 01983 868898 or email email@example.com.
For full details and maps of how to reach us please see the directions section of our website. Alternatively, you can plan your journey by car or public transport using www.transportdirect.info; simply enter your postcode and ours, which is PO37 6EA to get directions.
The nearest railway station is Shanklin, which is 0.2 miles away (a 10 minute walk). Taxis are available at the station. If you require an accessible taxi this can be booked in advance, see contact information for details.
The nearest bus stop is 500m/546yds from the Guest House. There is no shelter or seating. All buses can accommodate one wheelchair.
The pavement on the street leading to the Guest House is tarmac.
There is a local company which supplies equipment that can be hired, see contact information for details.
Brochure and Breakfast Menu can be provided in advance if required
- This Access Statement is available in larger print on request.
Car Parking and Arrival
- There are 5 parking spaces in the car park to the front of the Guest House approximately 4.5m/15ft from the front door.
- The car park has a tarmac surface with a path (one side has a slope the other side has two steps) leading to the level entry side door. This is well lit at night by a motion sensor light. There are 2 steps to the main front door, each step is 150mm/6 ins deep.
- On street parking is available, this can be busy during the day from 8am, but spaces are usually available after 4pm. There is street lighting.
- The front door is a split patio door with two steps, the full opening is 1040mm/41ins wide.
- The Main Side door is 850mm/33ins wide. Level entry, but there is one step from the hall to the main reception rooms on the ground floor.
- Assistance can be given with luggage to the rooms.
- Guests can be welcomed at the level entry side door (please note there is one internal step), where they are asked to register at the Reception.
- Alternatively Access from the front door (with two external steps), leads straight to the Reception area
- Seating is available with 2 tub chairs with arms.
- The flooring is carpeted throughout.
- The area is even and well lit with overhead lighting.
- Guests are shown the Guest Lounge, Dining Room and their Bedroom, Assistant with luggage is offered
- On the first floor there is 1 bedroom with twin beds, with two steps down into the en-suite 170mm/7ins deep. There are also 4 double rooms with level access to the en-suites, one of these rooms is via a longer corridor with two steps down, the first floor rooms are reached by stairs only.
- On the second floor there is 1 family suite, one twin room and two double rooms, the family suite has two steps down into the en-suite170mm/7ins deep, this room also has a separate room with bunk beds for two children 5-12 years. One of the double rooms also has access via the fire escape at the rear of the Guest House
- The door to the bedrooms are 710mm/28ins wide.
- The height of all of the beds from the top of the mattress to the floor is 660/26ins.
- Rooms are bright and evenly lit. Bedside lamps are also in each room.
- All of our bedrooms offer the following: Lighting as above, good colour contrast between the floor, walls and doors, short pile carpet, all bedding is non-feather, widescreen digital television with remote control, subtitles, and audio description facilities.
Shower Rooms & Toilets (Ensuite)
- All rooms have en-suite Shower rooms.
- The toilet height is 420mm/16.5ins.
- The wash basin height is 790mm/31ins.
- Lever taps on the washbasins.
- Well lit with overhead lights and a fluorescent light over mirror.
- Good colour contrast between the doors, floor and walls.
- Non-slip tile effect laminate flooring, linoleum or carpet.
- The doors to the bathrooms are 690mm/26.5ins wide.
Public Areas - Halls, Stairs, Landings, Corridors
- All public areas, halls, stairs, landing, are well lit using a combination of ceiling and wall lights.
- There is short pile carpet on the stairs, hall and landing.
- There is a flight of fifteen steps to the first floor with a handrail on one side and a curve in the lower stair treads. Each step is 190mm/7.5ins deep
- There is a similar flight of stairs to the second floor.
- All rooms except room 5 and 9 are directly off the landing area from the stairs.
- Room 5 has a longer corridor and two steps 150mm/6ins to access the room.
- Room 9 is accessed from external metal fire escape with 12 non slip steps
Public Areas - Lounge
- The guest lounge is situated on the ground floor with 2 step entry from the front door and level entry from the stairs.
- The door opening to the Lounge is 750mm/29.5ins wide.
- The room has two leather sofas, one three seater and one two seater, together with a low side table.
- The flooring is medium pile carpet.
- Widescreen digital television with remote control and subtitle facility is available.
- The dining room is situated on the ground floor with step free/level entry from the front door, lounge area and stairs.
- The door opening to the dining room is 700mm/27.5ins wide and it is level throughout, save for a slight slope towards the window end of the dining room.
- Lighting is natural daylight with overhead and wall lighting used around the room.
- We are able to cater for varying dietary requirements. Please advise us when making a booking.
- Breakfast is served to the table but you can help yourself to fruit juices cereals and fruit from the buffet table.
- Crockery is White contrasted with the dark wooden table where possible.
- There is a small unisex toilet, with one hand basin, opposite the side entrance to the Guest House on the ground floor.
- The toilet door opens outwards with a clear opening width of 750mm/29.5ins.
- From the reception rooms, there is 1 step down into the small hallway and one step up to the toilet door.
- The toilet height is 420mm/16.5ins.
- The toilet is well lit with a single overhead light.
- There is a paved patio area to the front of the Guest House which can be accessed from the lounge and reception area by two steps, or via the side level entrance.
- The Patio area has wooden tables and chairs with arms.
- The Patio area has a slope on one side or two steps on the other side to the car park.
- We have a set of evacuation procedures – should you require it someone will come to your room and assist you with evacuation.
- We welcome trained assistance dogs. A water bowl can be available outside the front door for assistance dogs and can be supplied for bedrooms where necessary.
- We have tried to ensure each door frame contrasts in colour with the surrounding wall.
- The nearest General Hospital with an A&E unit and walk in NHS is 10 miles away in Newport and the nearest Doctor’s surgery is 0.5 mile away in Shanklin. Please let us know if you require further information about these.
- We can offer a list of nearby attractions and suggested places to eat.
- The Fawley is 100% Non Smoking
- The Fawley has a no pet policy (Except trained assistance dogs).
The Fawley, 12 Hope Road, Shankin, Isle of Wight, PO37 6EA
Telephone: 01983 868898
Fax: 01983 719313
We are open all year and live on the premises and are available for ease of contact for our guests.
Local Equipment Hire:
There is a mobility shop in the town that hires equipment (approx. 10min walk)
Coastal Mobility 01983 533500
HSS 01983 530033
Local Public Transport:
There is a Train Station approx. 0.2 miles or 10 mins walk, there is an incline to the station.
There is a bus station in the town, approx. 10 mins walk
Southern Vectis Main Bus Depot in Newport 01983 827000
Wheelchair Access Taxi: Wight Knight Cars 01983 533335
24-7 taxis 01983 527275
Disability Information Advice Line (DIAL): 01983 522823
We Welcome feedback to help us continuously improve our establishment and the quality of service we offer to our guests. If you have any comments or suggestions please contact us by phone or e-mail.